High School Admissions (Grades 9-12)
What To Expect
Admission requirements to the Upper School (High School) are listed below, but it is important to understand how the criteria for admissions work. Students entering the Upper School are facing four years of challenging college-preparatory academic work.
All of our high school courses are Honors-level courses
or qualify as Advanced Placement courses.
The curriculum requires consistent work and study habits to keep up with the expectations.
What We Look For
In our admission process, we seek students who have strong basic skills, proven study skills, and work habits through their performance in Middle School, and a desire to attend a smaller high school where anonymity simply does not exist.
Students who do best in our environment tend to be those who can:
- focus their attention in class and in study times,
- enjoy the closeness with faculty and peers that comes with small classes,
- engage themselves in more than just the academic life of the school.
Many of our Upper School students can be termed "Renaissance persons," as they do, in fact, develop a wide range of talents and leadership in the school.
Those applicants for whom no space is immediately available will be assigned to the applicant waitlist. Places will be filled from this group of qualified students as they occur.
Preferences in Admissions
In considering applications, the Admissions Committee will grant preference to students who have brothers or sisters already enrolled at Marywood-Palm Valley School. Equivalent applicants will be admitted based on the date of application.
Applicants will not be considered for admissions until the following have been completed:
- Completed application form and fee are submitted.
- Academic records/standardized test scores from the previous school are received.
- Required entrance tests are completed or copies of acceptable standardized tests are submitted.
- Requisite recommendations from previous teachers are received.
- Family interview the Head of School and Director of Admissions.
- Writing sample is submitted and approved.
Once the student has been accepted, but before the student attends, parents must also submit the following:
- Signed Enrollment Contract
- California School Immunization Record
- Field Trip/Emergency Waiver and Release
All information contained in these documents shall be held in strict confidence and used only as necessary to serve the student's well-being.
Download Application and Forms:
Contact Tonya Carr for More Information and a Personal Tour
The Marywood-Palm Valley School is a private school in Southern California,
located in Rancho Mirage near the desert cities of Palm Springs and Palm Desert.